Thermal Characterization: SHIEL3D
How does it work?
SHIEL3D is a thermal conductivity measurement instrument – based on a space technology – that can determine the thermal conductivity of thermal insulation materials in a matter of minutes and in an extended temperature range from -250°C (cryogenic materials) to 1000°C (fire-resistant materials).
The device consists of a thin heating element, which excites the material to be tested with a current of varying frequency from 100 Hz to 0.001 Hz. The response of the material to the current excitation is recorded in the form of voltages (in the order of mV), which is then filtered and processed to yield the thermal conductivity of the material.
- Temperature range: -250°C to +1000°C
- Measurement range: 1 mW/m-K to 2000 mW/m-K
- Measurement time: 15 mins
- Sample State: Solids & Liquids
- Suitable for:
- Foam-based insulation
- Mineral wools
Advantages of SHIEL3D:
- Wide temperature range
- Suitable for measurements in vacuum
- Quick measurement times
- Small size of samples required for measurement
- Non-destructive testing
- Flexible and customizable for special applications